Consulting Engineers
Search Close search
Contact us
C.W. Obel Ejendomme

Info

Client
C.W. Obel Real Estate
Area
22,575 m²
Architect
Unknown
Project Period
2019–2022
Contractor
Unknown
Total construction cost
Confidential

Nature of the Project

The warehouses, designed by the renowned Danish architect Emil Jeppesen, were originally built between 1912 and 1913 for De Danske Sukkerfabrikker. At that time, they served as warehouses for the Phønix sugar refinery, whose beautiful emblem—a phoenix—still adorns the relief on the wall facing Langebro.

The building has since been used for various purposes, including as laboratories for a time. When Danisco acquired the building in 1989, it was restored and converted into offices—a transformation that earned it an architectural award from the City of Copenhagen in 1991.

Following the acquisition by the developer C.W. Obel Ejendomme, all the buildings have been completely renovated and modernized, and the 22,575 m² now serve as a beautiful and open business community with office space for the building’s tenants, a large shared meeting center, a fitness room, a cafeteria, and much more. Despite being a building more than 100 years old, the energy-optimization measures implemented during the renovation have enabled it to achieve DGNB Operations Platinum certification.

C.W. Obel Ejendomme
C.W. Obel Ejendomme

Structurally, openings have been created in the load-bearing and stabilizing walls of all three buildings to create as many workspaces as possible, as well as to achieve an aesthetically pleasing and spacious work environment with good flow and accessibility for the building’s users.

In the longest of the three buildings, the existing half-timbered walls and exposed wooden rafters imposed limitations on the layout of office spaces along the eaves. The roof structure’s load-bearing and stabilizing system here consisted of diagonal braces running the entire length of the facade, which prevented flexible use of the space. To address this, the entire roof structure—which spans approximately 100 meters—was reinforced so that the diagonal braces could be removed. This made it possible to create office spaces between all the truss bays in the building.

In addition, a new elevator core and elevator tower have been installed, along with new glass facades on the high-rise tower, which houses both office and cafeteria spaces. Here, an open, three-story-high welcome and reception area has been created with direct access to the new elevator core. In the two oldest buildings, the roof structures have also been modified to meet new functional requirements, particularly regarding indoor climate.

In one of the buildings, a new, modern ventilation system was installed in the attic, which was the only location with sufficient space for the necessary ventilation units. The existing truss rafters in the roof structure were therefore replaced, and a new load-bearing floor slab was installed to handle the increased load from the installations. This location within the roof structure was necessary because the system could not be installed as part of the facade, due to the building’s heritage value, nor in the streetscape, as the building is located in a very busy and touristy area right on the waterfront, close to the new Queen Louise Bridge.

C.W. Obel Ejendomme
C.W. Obel Ejendomme

Historically Significant Building

A major challenge for the project was to work within the existing framework while integrating the many new functions required by a modern workplace, given that the buildings’ facades are designated for preservation.

This required a high degree of creativity in the layout and placement of the functions. Additionally, the project was carried out while the buildings remained in operation and was therefore executed in close collaboration with the tenants. The renovations were carried out as tenants moved out, after which existing tenants were relocated to allow for further work in areas not yet renovated. At the same time, finding space for materials posed a logistical challenge, as both parking areas and office spaces remained in use throughout the construction process.

Would you like to learn more about Langebrogade?

Thomas Flinker Torp
Forretningschef, Transformation og Partner
+45 2677 2312